Monday, January 26, 2009

Perhaps I was Wrong about a Blaq President

I never in a bazillion years thought that we would see a black president of the US!!! I was very vocal about this viewpoint and questioned Obama on numerous occasions on his “audacity of hope”… (Pun Intended) I dismissed people that told me that this was possible as blissfully ignorant and overly optimistic… THIS IS MY ADMISSION, I WAS WRONG!!! Wheeeeew… That was tough… Now that I’ve got that out of the way, I think that it is important for me to voice to you some of the reasons why I thought (Think) the way that I did (do). 
Anyone that has a remote knowledge of the history (our)story of this country understands that we (blk) people have been vastly marginalized. So much so that for many of years the ceiling wasn’t even glass, it was as apparent as that of the Sistine Chapel. Tremendous strides have been made since our country’s conception from the civil rights generation’s gains socially, to the black power generation’s gains consciously, to the hip hop generations gains financially; however the ceiling was all too apparent and to a great extent still is. Now, far be it for me to drop the cake in the middle of the party, but I can’t help but look at certain occurrences this election season with a certain level of cynicism. First off is the whole Sarah Palin phenomenon… Let’s be real here… Someone really had to do their research to find a VP nominee dumber than Quayle. I mean WOW!!! My mother always told me that African Americans needed to be twice as good to be considered equal, well if the math holds true on the other end, Whites need to be twice as dumb to be considered equal to blacks: Enter Sarah Palin. We’re talking about someone that didn’t know that Africa was a continent. This is a woman that didn’t (And still doesn’t) know what a vice president does... (Sidenote: If you apply for a job at McDonalds and don’t know what a fry-man does, YOU DON’T GET THE JOB!!! *Trust me, I’ve tried*, This is a woman that didn’t understand the VP’s role in the senate… Hell, this is a woman that didn’t know who was in NAFTA (The NORTH AMERICAN free trade agreement) *HINT* Think North America. Yet somehow, she managed to make it into the running for the second highest office in the land. Meanwhile on the twice as good side of things, Obama whom finished at the top of his Harvard Law class and has a genius level IQ is being scrutinized for “lack of experience”. Now, I know that Obama and Biden won, but my point in illustrating this is to say… OF COURSE THEY WON!!!! With all of the above factors being quantified, anything less than a victory would be ludicrous. Only in the US could someone finish third from last in his military class, get captured by the other side in a war, be well into retirement age, and still be considered formidable competition for someone as intellectually equipped as Obama. On one hand I am proud of my country for making the right decision, on the other hand, I think to myself… “What other decision was there?” This is an incredible and historic time that we are in, but this is a time that proves how superior African Americans need to be to beguile the status quo. I assert that this election doesn’t make blacks equal in this country, that is still going to take years of honest antidotal paperwork and policy to counteract the years of paperwork and policy that have been used to oppress blacks. What this election does reaffirm is that when faced with an inept opponent, it is possible for blacks to win over the popular vote. This is a start, this article isn’t meant in any way to belittle or demean the incredible accomplishments of President Obama, but less we forget Jesse Jackson, Angela Davis, Shirley Chisholm, and the countless other African Americans that were lambs of sacrifice to make this day possible. Let’s continue to work together as agents of positive and progressive change. I truly believe that that starts with arming ourselves with the knowledge that there is still much work that needs to be done. Moreover, African American’s need not allow this great accomplishment to trap us in a state of euphoric complacency. If there is anything to take from this historic time it is that we African American’s need to work twice as hard to continue to make American HIStory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment